The Buyer position compiles and maintains material and parts inventory and status information, places and confirms purchase orders, expedites material movement from suppliers to Cogmedix, and facilitates/coordinates movement of materials within Cogmedix. Buyers may also participate in material planning activities.
- Under supervision of the Materials Manager performs tasks associated with the role of buyer, in support of commodity management, project management and manufacturing operations.
- Generated through MRP, review to identify appropriate actions for all buy, defer, expedite, or cancelation signals for their appropriate parts portfolio.
- Place orders with selected suppliers on the Cogmedix Approved Supplier List (ASL), manage delivery schedule, ensure on-time delivery of quality materials and manage inventory to meet service levels and inventory turn-over targets.
- Ensure proper inspection requirements for custom materials are communicated on Cogmedix purchase orders, compliant with our internal procedures.
- Negotiate at time of order placement any additional material discounts and/or terms.
- Publish supplier open order reports to custom parts suppliers and communicate any issues to production.
- Analyze buy messages to maximize VPA and discount terms agreements with Tier 1 & 2 suppliers.
- Work with Operations leaders and Program/Project Managers to ensure material availability to maximize production capacity.
- Interface with Project/Program Managers and Planners to create a materials availability plan. Work with Planners to ensure material availability to maximize production capacity.
- Review ECN’s and recommend material effective dates involving new and/or part substitutions to production planner.
- Ensure all purchased materials arrive on time, and at acceptable quality levels. Generate actions plans when criteria are not met.
- With Supplier Quality Engineer, monitor on time delivery of purchased parts to request date.
- Ensure compliance with custom parts revision control.
- Working in conjunction with Planners, read production schedules, inventory reports, and work orders to determine type and quantity of materials required, availability of stock, and order priority.
- Confer with Assistant Production Managers and Planners to determine overdue material and parts and informs them of material status.
- Direct warehouse staff to expedite transfer of materials from stock area to production areas.
- Work with Planners to order identified shortages.
- Follow-up with suppliers to ensure required due dates can be met and to convey urgency of requirements in terms of potential customer impact.
- Escalate supplier issues in a manner that allows for resolution well in advance of customer impact.
- Negotiate with suppliers on appropriate expediting fees, responsibility for expediting charges, shipping methods and charges, etc.
- Positive attitude, well organized, self-motivator, and tenacious follow up required.
- Superior customer service attitude.
- Excellent teamwork in various disciplines and on multi-functional teams.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience in technical or business field desired.
- 3 years minimum recent procurement experience preferred, preferably in contract manufacturing of medical devices.
- Strong negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills preferred.
- NAPM or APICS certification (CPIM) desired.
- Technical knowledge of purchasing, logistics, planning, master scheduling.
- Sound judgment ability essential.
- Strong working knowledge of ERP systems MRP functionality. Epicor preferred.
- Lifting up to 30 lbs.