The Commodity Manager position provides a primary point of contact for supplier management and sourcing within an assigned group of products and or suppliers. Responsibilities include developing the supply base and its capabilities to provide competitive advantage to Coghlin Companies and our customers. These will include but not be limited to; cost management, inventory flexibility programs, quality management, and continuous improvement initiatives. The candidate should possess supplier management and purchasing experience along with knowledge of diversified and complex commodities including, machined parts, sheet metal fabrication, complex cable assemblies, and electromechanical components.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supply continuity and performance to commitments
- Provide competitive sourcing options to the company and our customers in support of RFQ activity
- 1st line of escalation for Delivery or Supplier related issues
- Conduct supplier business reviews, audits, and monitoring of category KPIs
- Management of the Supplier Report Card processes
- Develops and maintains positive supplier and internal customer relationships by adhering to high standards of business ethics and fair dealing
- Conduct market research and based on your analysis manage potential new and existing suppliers
- Keeps informed of current market trends, best practices and contracting models.
- Performs other duties, consistent with the position, as required or assigned.
- Supplier Performance Metrics at or exceeding agreed to goals
- Improving Inventory Turns by Supplier and establishment of JIT and consumption based replenishment systems.
- Improving materials cost models for Coghlin Companies and our customers
- Continuous improvement in quote responsiveness
- The availability of multiple sourcing options when not explicitly restricted by customer requirements
- A competitive set of preferred suppliers that is motivated and rewarded by superior performance and flexibility.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience in Business or Mechanical Engineering is desired
- Purchasing, Mechanical Engineering, and or Manufacturing Operations experience, preferably in contract manufacturing.
- The ability to work closely with all levels of Supplier Management as well as internal Supply Chain, Quality, and Program Management to drive solutions and issues to closure.
- Must be able to read and understand blueprints and technical specifications
- Strong negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and sound judgment are essential.
- Strong working knowledge of ERP systems.
- A demonstrated ability to create and effectively communicate recommendations.
- MS Office proficiency in Excel and Power Point is required.
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.