The Cost Accountant is responsible for maintaining the cost accounting system as well as providing product margin analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Frequent maintenance and review of standard cost systems and controls to assure standard cost, inventory valuation, and gross margin reporting accuracy.
- Set standards for new manufactured parts based upon bills of materials and operations.
- Analyze actual manufacturing costs and compare to standard costs. Update standard costs as necessary.
- Analyze changes in product design and manufacturing methods to determine effects on cost.
- Periodically analyze purchase history and update raw material standard costs.
- Compare actual product margins to quotes and analyze variances.
- Assist in month end close of the general ledger as it relates to inventory cost analysis.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent required.
- At least 3 years of cost accounting in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience working with engineering and manufacturing personnel on analysis of cost standards.
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel including pivot tables, lookup formulas, etc.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.