Mechanical Engineering Designer position responsible for mechanical design, development and support of new product development initiatives for a wide variety of clients. Products and projects include electronics and electrical enclosures, PCB development, industrial capital equipment, automation systems, and consumer products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Familiar with a wide variety of mechanical engineering concepts, practices and procedures.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Work with Mechanical Engineers to develop CAD assembly and component models and drawings to satisfy requirements.
- Analyze and apportion tolerances on parts to satisfy design needs while supporting manufacturability.
- Research sources for purchased commercial and fabricated parts.
- Obtain parts from various sources and construct prototype components and assemblies for subsequent design analysis with Engineers.
- Analyze designs and recommend opportunities for design improvements.
- Work with Engineers and Technicians to develop and evaluate feasibility of designs.
- Present reviews of designs and documentation to obtain feedback.
- Communicate successfully in CAD using current industry standards.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate design and drawing archives and revision history using electronic product data management vaulting software tools.
- Support design and build of designs through final fabrication documentation.
- Create and maintain mechanical system documentation and execute Engineering Change Orders for design documentation including solid models, detailed drawings, bills of materials and purchase specifications.
- Able to direct the activities of more junior level designers or technicians.
- Capability to design to relevant compliance standards.
- Interface with suppliers on designs and specifications as
- Support the transition of prototype designs into
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- AS Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology, preferred.
- 12+ years design experience in a technical design
- Fluency with parameterized 3D solid modeling tools, SolidWorks experience preferred.
- MS Office Suite Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Word.
- Ability to interface well with customers.
- Proficient in hands on troubleshooting and vendor liaison.
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.