The Mechanical Engineer (I) will solve basic to moderate complexity problems and participate in the specification, design, prototyping and testing of a diverse range of capital equipment platforms. Under the direction of Project Engineers, and guidance of the Chief Technical Officer and SVP Engineering, you will be performing design tasks of a complex technical nature requiring investigation of new technologies, and applying advanced engineering design principles and practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With guidance, define mechanical engineering design requirements and develop specifications in accordance with customer expectations and requirements.
- Design, detail, and model mechanical, fluidic, and thermal systems within, and associated with, electro-mechanical/optical/fluidic capital equipment type systems.
- Create and refine technical mechanical part and assembly drawings/models to accurately capture design intent.
- Scope investigations into form or function of a feature(s) of a design.
- Create and refine moderate complexity mechanical components including sourcing and volume models.
- Manage electrical parts as typically used in mechanical design models. This includes PCBs, connectors, plugs, and layout control models. Interface and coordinate with electrical engineering team.
- Create and maintain bill of materials.
- Prepare and complete engineering change order packages.
- Build, troubleshoot, verify and validate engineering prototypes against specifications.
- Contribute to risk assessment of mechanical and system design, including generation of FMEAs.
- Prepare and release required design documentation to support release to manufacturing for new products, and provide support for existing products transferred to production.
- Identify and analyze basic design problems to achieve optimal solutions that satisfy cost and technical requirements using both internal and external technical resources.
- Formulate new, innovative approaches to solve technical problems.
- Create and communicate project tasks and deliverables, and manage time to meet project deadlines and costs. This includes reporting pertinent information at key milestones through clear, concise oral and written communications.
- Ability to create, design and solve engineering problems with assistance from more senior staff.
- Demonstrated ability to decompose engineering problems into actionable task lists.
- Ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on technical inputs from multiple and varied sources.
- 0-6 of design/development experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced team setting with engineers, technicians, and manufacturing personnel.
- Basic skills in MS Office applications and SolidWorks. Pro-Engineering and/or Inventor a plus.
- Basic working knowledge of mechanical fabrication practices, such as machining, sheet metal, welding and plastics fabrication.
- Some experience with MRP and Data Management systems for documentation revision control preferred. Epicor and Enterprise EPDM a plus.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Direct experience working in an ISO-regulated environment. ISO 13485 a plus.
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting. Occasional travel required.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.