The Project Engineer is responsible for the technical oversight and management of a project through the full product lifecycle, from assignment in development through manufacturing SPL (Scaled Product Launch). Project Engineers may be responsible for multiple Projects, largely dependent upon size and complexity, have a dotted line reporting to the assigned Program Manager, and a direct report to the Engineering Manager & Staff Technologist
Duties and Responsibilities
- Team leader that demonstrates alignment with the Coghlin Companies core values and mission in their daily interaction and communication with team members and customers
- Principal point of technical contact with customer, and responsible for building and maintaining quality relationships with key technical stakeholders
- Participates in the generation of Statement of Work (SOW) and Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for new opportunities, as well as for additional development phases for current programs and customers
- Provides technical assessment and feasibility evaluation of conceptual designs, in conjunction with the Development Engineering Manager & Staff Technologist, and ultimately approves the design to move forward
- Ensures adherence to CT’s design review process
- Leads the creation of technical documents including the generation of Functional Requirements Document (FRD)
- Assists the Program Manager in the development of the Project Plan for assigned projects at the start of each phase.
- Ensures adherence to the approved contractual documents with regards to the defined tasks and deliverables in the SOW, and the effort estimations detailed in the WBS
- Identifies required out-of-scope work and escalates to the Program Manager when tasks are tracking to exceed WBS estimates;
- Generates and documents the plan and effort required for identified out of scope work activity and provides to Program Manager for submittal to the customer
- Responsible for the technical management of a multi-disciplinary project team, including the quality of work delivered
- Ensures team compliance with all required ISO systems and processes, including accurate time recording, and coordination of document change control
- Maintains project status data by using CT supported tools and methodologies; encourages team collaboration and communication, and ensures that CT supported collaboration tools are properly utilized by team members
- With assistance from the Development Engineering Manager & Staff Technologist, is accountable and responsible for all technical documentation generated throughout a project, including project plans, specifications, meeting notes, action items, engineering bills of material, analyses, prototype and test data, and any other project documentation in support of the PHF (Project History File) requirements per CT’s ISO process
- Responsible for coordinating with Program Managers for identifying resource needs and allocation to project activities
- Supports Program Manager in phase closeout review for analysis of delivery against plan. Generate recommendations to be considered for incorporation into next phase of activity for continuing improvement in performance against target metrics.
- BS in an engineering/related discipline, MS preferred
- 5-7+ years of engineering product development experience; demonstrated success of managing complex projects from inception to commercialization; excellent systems engineering skills are a must
- Strong skills in project management by influence rather than authority is crucial to this role
- Experience in the technical management of cross-functional engineering disciplines, including mechanical, electrical, and software
- Proficiency with MS suite tools, including Office and Project
- Experience with ERP and PDM systems required, Experience with Epicor E10 and SolidWorks PDM a plus
- Project management experience in a Time & Materials environment, executed to an approved statement of work
- Experience with Agile project management techniques, and supporting software tools, a plus
- Excellent written and communication skills, including experience presenting to customers
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting. Occasional travel required.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.