The Senior Buyer position provides a single point of contact for the sourcing, price negotiations, procurement, and availability within an assigned set of commodities, parts, and/or suppliers. This position develops, maintains, and enhances the supply chain to provide a competitive advantage for Columbia Tech. In addition, this position will ensure supply chain alignment consistent with ERP signals as well as inputs from key internal stake holders including, but not limited to, Program Management, Operations (Supply Chain, Manufacturing Operations, Planning, etc.), and senior management. This position’s specific responsibilities include price and terms negotiation with suppliers, placing purchase orders on suppliers, managing delivery schedules consistent with business requirements, ensuring supplier delivery of quality material, managing inventory levels to ensure cost effective production support, and driving cost/price/service improvements with the supplier.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under moderate supervision performs tasks associated with the role of senior buyer, in support of commodity management, planning, program management, quality and manufacturing operations.
- As Buy Reports are generated by the ERP system, review to identify and action all buy, defer, expedite, or cancelation signals for their appropriate parts portfolio.
- Negotiate at time of order placement any additional material discounts and/or terms.
- Publish supplier open order reports to custom parts suppliers and communicate any issues to production.
- Provides Supplier evaluation communication on a consistent cadence to ensure concerns, as well as positive performance, are communicated effectively and consistently.
- Analyze buy messages to maximize VPA and discount terms agreements with Tier 1 & 2 suppliers.
- Work with Production Planners to ensure material availability to maximize production capacity.
- Review ECN’s and recommend material effectivity date involving new and/or parts substitutions to production planner.
- Ensure all purchased materials are in-house on time, and at acceptable quality levels. Generate actions plans when criteria are not met.
- Drives for continuing improvement in all pertinent supplier metrics.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience in technical or business field desired.
- Strong negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills.
- NAPM or APICS certification (CPIM) desired.
- Technical knowledge of purchasing, logistics, planning, master scheduling.
- Excellent interpersonal are essential along with sound judgment ability.
- Strong working knowledge of ERP systems, particularly Epicor.
- Purchasing, Mechanical Engineering, and/or Operations experience required.
- Must be able to read and understand blueprints and technical specifications.
- Proficient in MS Office applications and experience with an ERP system.
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.