The Sr. Power & Controls Electrical Engineering Technician works with project team members in the design and integration of electrical control systems and panels for capital equipment for a variety of industries and technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists engineers in the development of power distribution and analog/digital control solutions for a wide range of commercial and industrial applications, from initial design through final documentation.
- Assists in component selection, layout, test and debug of control panels and power panels.
- Creates electrical system documentation and executes Engineering Change Orders including schematics, block diagrams, enclosure/component layouts, wiring diagrams, wire run lists, cable drawings, and Bills of Material.
- Participate in the generation of work breakdown structures and associated schedules for electrical engineering related activities.
- Establish design criteria, prepare procurement specifications, and evaluate quotes for required materials.
- Debug power distribution systems for a wide range of capital equipment.
- Direct the activities of Development Engineering Technicians during build cycles.
- Assist with PLC implementation, troubleshooting and test.
- Design to compliance initiatives and interface with compliance laboratories; UL, NFPA, NEC, CSA, FCC, CE, etc.
- Interface with suppliers and customers on designs and specifications as needed.
- Contribute to the transition of prototype design into production.
- High school diploma minimum; additional education in a technology field a plus.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a similar/related role within a production or pre-production environment. Experience in a product development environment a plus.
- Proficient with the use of standard electrical test equipment; oscilloscope, voltmeter, frequency counter, current probe.
- Experienced with DFM, FMEA and other development practices.
- Demonstrated skill with PLC programming tools, and AutoCAD Electrical for schematics and component layout.
- Experienced user of MS Office Suite; Proficiency with Microsoft Power Point, Excel and Word
- Ability to interface with and communicate clearly with customers.
- Hands on electrical troubleshooting.
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting. Occasional travel required.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.