The Senior Program Buyer position provides a single point of contact for the sourcing, price negotiations, procurement, and availability within an assigned set of programs for a project based product development group. This position develops, maintains, and enhances the supply chain to provide a competitive advantage for Columbia Tech product development group. In addition, this position will ensure supply chain alignment consistent with ERP signals as well as inputs from key internal stake holders including, but not limited to, Program Management, Supply Chain, Planning, and senior management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This position’s specific responsibilities include price and terms negotiation with suppliers, placing Purchase Orders with suppliers, managing delivery schedules consistent with PO requirements, ensuring supplier delivery of quality material, and driving schedule/cost/ /service improvements with the suppliers.
- Develop sourcing strategy to meet specific program needs with support from Program Management, Product Development Logistics Manager and other Supply Chain resources.
- Under moderate supervision performs tasks associated with the role of senior buyer, in support of program management, planning, supply chain, quality and pre-production operations.
- As Buy Reports are generated by the ERP system, review to identify and action all buy, defer, expedite, or cancelation signals for their appropriate parts portfolio.
- Negotiate at time of order placement any additional material discounts and/or terms.
- Generate and maintain Procurement Status Reports for assigned programs, and update Program Management weekly.
- Anticipate and mitigate risk and issues that will impede supplier performance and Purchase Order requirements. Work with suppliers to track and drive issue resolution.
- Analyze buy messages to maximize VPA and discount terms agreements with Tier 1 & 2 suppliers.
- Work with pre-production planners to ensure material availability to maximize throughput capacity in accordance with schedule requirements.
- Review ECN’s and recommend material effectivity date involving new parts and/or parts substitutions to pre-production planner.
- Coordinate and/or conduct progress visits to supplier sites as necessary.
- Proactively ensure all purchased materials are in-house on time, and at acceptable quality levels. Generate KPI, and actions plans when criteria are not met.
- Drive for continuing improvement in all pertinent supplier metrics.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience in technical or business field desired.
- Strong negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills.
- NAPM or APICS certification (CPIM) desired.
- Technical knowledge of purchasing, logistics, planning, master scheduling.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential along with sound judgment ability.
- Strong working knowledge of ERP systems, particularly Epicor.
- Experience working with low and high volume sheet metal, plastic, cable and PCBA suppliers to provide custom parts and assemblies is required.
- Must be able to read and understand blueprints and technical specifications.
- Ability to work in a project based product development and pre-production environment where produt configuration change is highly likely.
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Generally works in an office environment, but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting.
- Interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting.
- Must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.